Tuesday, January 11, 2011

3... 2... 1....

Counting down to the launch of a new business is exciting, inspiring, energizing and scary all at the same time.  I'm not new to the industry by any stretch, I know I'm good at what I do and I know that I'm in demand.  Before I even chose a name, I was fortunate enough to start getting business.  I have wonderful, supportive friends and a husband and daughter who believe in me more than I believe in myself.  I'm giving myself very realistic and attainable goals for the first few years, and building my core values into my business model by incorporating pro-bono work and specializing in the things I know I do best.  I feel like I have all of my ducks in a row and I couldn't be in a better position to take off...  Why am I a little scared, then? 

It could be the usual: not having a steady paycheck, not having a company matched 401K, not having the security and stability of constant work.  But my husband owns his own business, my parents owned their own business, I'm used to the entrepreneurial world.  Could it be more?  Running my own business is putting it all out there on the line.  Am I good enough to stand on my own?  Am I ready to work harder for myself than I've ever worked for anyone else?  Clearly I believe the answer to these questions is a confident yes or else I wouldn't have considered this leap, and I'm pretty excited to see where this is going to take me.

So what is it?  I'm a planner by my very nature.  I've never liked roller coasters or been much for an adrenaline rush.  I like things to be well-planned and predictable.  That's what I do for a living and it's how I live my life.  I plan for everything.  When we go on vacation, I plan everything down to scheduled free time.  When I plan weddings, I factor in the possibilities of inclement weather, untimely illnesses, rips in dresses, and anything else that others don't think of.  I obsess over things until I've thought about every angle and every possible result.  The word here is obsess.  I wake up in the morning planning and go to sleep making lists, but as much as I plan this business of mine, I just can't be sure that I'll know every possible outcome .  What I'm doing is risky and I know I can't plan for what I don't know is coming with this venture.  It's what makes launching a new business exciting and what scares me.  That's why I need this.  Sometimes you need shake things up.  3... 2... 1...  a.muse!

No comments:

Post a Comment