Monday, January 14, 2013

Gluten Free Chicken Soup


This flu season feels like the worst!  My daughter came home from work yesterday afternoon and deteriorated very quickly, so she needed some chicken noodle soup in a hurry!  I hate the canned gluten free soups, I haven't found a good one yet, so I decided to make her some homemade gluten free chicken noodle soup.  Since I didn't have the time to really make it from scratch, here's what I did:

I had some gluten free spaghetti (to use for the noodles), frozen peas (Jade requested them in her soup), chopped kale (that I use in everything), so I needed to run out for the rest.  I bought a rotisserie chicken and some organic gluten free chicken broth and we were off! 


First, I sauteed some garlic in olive oil in the bottom of a large pot, then added one and a half packages of broth and a generous amount of poultry seasoning.  If I had some parsley on hand, I would have chopped that up and thrown that in, but I didn't.  I also threw in a few bay leaves.  As I waited for that to boil, I started pulling apart that chicken, shredding the meat by hand and tossing into the pot.  Once that was done, and the broth began to boil, I broke up the spaghetti into small 2 inch pieces and dropped them in.  Finally, I added some frozen peas and a few handfuls of the chopped kale and let that boil until the pasta was cooked.  (Remember to fish out the bay leaves before serving.)



The result was so much better than anything canned and almost as easy.

Happy Clean Eating!
~Sue 

1 comment:

  1. i'm very new to the gluten free world, and its a bit overwhelming. thank you for such an easy recipe. i think i'm going to use rice and then freeze it in single serve portions for a quick meal. thanks again!

    ReplyDelete