Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Favorite Foods

My favorite way to eat is in small meals all day long, like 5 meals a day.  I would always choose tapas over a Thanksgiving meal (my husband thinks that's blasphemy), and I have a number of go-to dishes that I love. I decided to look into what the nutritional value of each is, so I figured I would write a blog post about them as I do.  Ideally I'd like to get about 30 grams of protein, 30 grams of carbs, and 7 grams of fat per meal.  Now, as you may know, I'm gluten free and I try to stay away from most dairy with the exception of goat's milk cheese and yogurt, so these dishes follow that diet.

Maybe I should talk about my supplements, too...  I take a multivitamin with iron,  CLA, Sublingual Vitamin B-12, and a D Vitamin.  Everyday.  I also buy my vitamins at Trader Joe's they're much cheaper there! 



Yogurt with strawberries and granola

1 cup fat free plain greek yogurt
1/3 cup Kind Vanilla Blueberry Clusters
1/2 cup sliced strawberries

Calories: 300
Fat: 3g
Carbs: 42g
Protein: 27g
Fiber:  8g

(A little high in carb, I could reduce the amount of granola, but pretty great.  Go me!)



Chicken breast with Hummus and Tomatoes

Leftover chicken breast (4oz)
2 tbs hummus
handful of cherry tomatoes, sliced in half

Calories:  282
Fat:  7g
Carbs:  14g
Protein:  38g
Fiber:  2g

(If I just add some more veggies to this, it's a perfect meal)

Omelet with Spinach and Feta

1 whole egg and 3 egg whites
sauteed spinach
1 ounce goat cheese feta

Calories: 230
Fat:  14g
Carbs:  4g
Protein:  23g
Fiber:  2g

(If I switch to egg whites only and a cup of fruit on the side)

Calories: 275
Fat:  5g
Carbs:  35g
Protein:  19g
Fiber:  5g


GF Toast with Mashed Peanut Butter and Banana

1 slice Udi's gluten free whole grain bread
1 tbs peanut butter
1/2 medium banana

Calories:  280
Fat:  12g
Carbs:  38g
Protein:  9g
Fiber:  4g

(this has a lot less protein than I thought!  I guess I could eat with the protein shake below for a nice big meal.)


Strawberry Vanilla Protein Shake

1 cup almond milk
handful of frozen strawberries
heaping scoop of vanilla protein powder

Calories:  170
Fat:  4g
Carbs:  7g
Protein:  25g
Fiber:  3g

(If I added a banana)

Calories:  270
Fat:  4g
Carbs:  34g
Protein:  26g
Fiber:  6g


Think Thin Brownie Crunch Bar

Calories:  230
Fat:  8g
Carbs:  24g
Protein:  20g
Fiber:  2g

(This guys is pretty perfect, and tasty, too)




Protein Pancake with Blueberries on top

1/2 banana
1/4 c egg whites
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 tbs ground chia seed
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbs almond milk
1/2 c blueberries (on top)

Calories: 120
Fat:  2g
Carbs:  28g
Protein:  26g
Fiber:  4g

(another pretty good one!) 

Hummus and Cucumbers

2 cups sliced Cucumbers
4 tbs Hummus

Calories: 124
Fat:  5g
Carbs:  16g
Protein:  4g
Fiber:  3g

Tuna made with Hummus on GF Bread

1 can white tuna in water, drained
2 tbs hummus (this picture is with the roasted red pepper kind)
1 slice Udi's Gluten Free Whole Grain bread

Calories:  185
Fat:  5g
Carbs:  17g
Protein:  17g
Fiber:  3g

Scrambled Egg and Hummus on Toast

1 slice Udi's Gluten Free Whole Grain bread
2 tbs hummus
1/4 c egg whites scrambled with 1 whole egg

Calories: 245
Fat:  11g
Carbs:  18g
Protein:  20g
Fiber:  4g

No comments:

Post a Comment