Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Read a good book lately?

I just got back from Spring Break in Florida.  My in-laws have a home in Longboat Key and we decided to fly out for the week Jade was off from school and get away from this cold!  Anyway, I love to read but never have the time because of...  well, my life.  While on vacation from my life, though, I read 2 very good books, both about struggling relationships.  

The first book I read was The Light Between Oceans.  Set in Australia after the first World War, this story of families making tough choices and just trying to do the right thing, even when a couple doesn't agree with what the right this is.  You feel so much for these characters and want the best for everybody, but just don't know how that can happen.  It's beautifully written, too.  



Once I devoured that one, I downloaded Gone Girl.  Very Different.  This book made me laugh out loud at parts and shake my head at others.  The story of a couple told from the point of view of the husband, and the diary entries of the wife, you think you really know them well.  But you don't.  This is going to make a great movie someday, I just know it.  It's over the top and fun.


The next book that I'm just chomping at the bit to read is And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini.  If you haven't read The Kite Runner or A Thousand Splendid Suns, you really must.  I read The Kite Runner first and almost didn't want to read A Thousand Splendid Suns because I thought there was no way a first time author could follow a book so great up with anything but a disappointment, but I was soooooo wrong.  A Thousand Splendid Suns was even better, it's probably the best book I've ever read.  Seriously.  So you can bet that I'm downloading his newest book on May 21. 


No comments:

Post a Comment